Wednesday, November 25, 2009

An instructional strategy that was explored was Apple Learning Interchange-Online project based learning. I read about the JourneyNorth.mov and the 2,500-mile voyage of the Monarch butterflies to Canada from Mexico. Any child can look on a map and find where Mexico is. But Journey North creates a real life experience for the students. They have communication with children in Mexico about the temps, the air quality, and it intertwines all the content areas. The children then write back and forth, which forces them to use their best handwriting. I believe that this is using the constructionist learning theory. The students in each area/state are encouraged to be scientists in and outside of their own classroom.

Another game that they play through Journey North is "Mystery Class." I think that this is great. Most kids know how to play "I Spy", but I think that this puts it into real-life prospective. They are given information about anywhere in the world and they have to guess where it is. Clues are given to them either by their teacher or someone else, and they have to make guesses on where it is, based on the information that they have been given. This is something that I would definitely consider doing in my 4th grade classroom.

4 comments:

  1. The real world connection is great!It sounds like they have to use their problem solving skills and that is a wonderful part to their learning. For your 4th grade class will you be using locations?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,
    Great Idea. I think that you are encouraging your students to use their problem solving skills. The connection to real life is wonderful. What will you have your 4th grade do? It sounds like a great way to keep your students engaged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was starting to wonder why no one was responding to my blog and I realized I gave the wrong blog address on the walden blog page. My correct one is:

    http://sbmonth.wordpress.com/

    Sorry about that.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristin,
    I would have my 4th grade class follow along the same guidelines/field trip that they did on this field trip. I was so impressed with what happened and what they did, that I would use the same format. I think by them having the opportunity to make real life applicable, they might grasp it more. This would definitely enhance their writing also.

    ReplyDelete